Friday 4 August 2017

Hermione's Passion Project

Life isn’t perfect
but your outfit can be!

Hey, it’s Hermione. I have always loved clothes and DIY’s but I never thought about doing sewing to make my own clothes because it seemed like a bit of a faff, I found a way to make my own clothes without always having to sew. This year my Passion Project goal is to make my own clothes that I can wear and a bag that I can use, but make them out of old or second hand clothes and different types of materials that I have found. Then I want to take photos of them and put them in a book or magazine.

Early on in Passion Project I did lots of research on how to easily upcycle clothing. I have looked mainly in sewing magazines and on Pinterest. One of the most common ways to upcycle bags that I saw was making by them out of coffee bean bags.

Image result for coffee bean sack bag
Here is an example
of a coffee bean bag


The most common way to upcycle jeans that I found was to make them into shorts by cutting old jeans at the length that shorts would usually be at. I looked at a some sewing magazines and I saw that at the moment embroidery is quite popular (I already have collected and used some iron on’s from Spotlight).

I phoned Jane Gilder who does sewing courses, near the beginning of the year. She got back to me and said that I can start the course on the last week of the Term 1 school holidays. It is now Term 3 and I have been going to sewing lessons since then once a week , I have made one bag which I got the material for off of a dress that I found in the second hand clothing store in Merivale.



This is the bag that I made

I recently started sewing a skirt which I found the material for in Spotlight at The Colombo. In the holidays I found an old denim jacket of my sisters, I took of the sleeves and put on some iron on sparkly icecreams and glasses.




This is the waistcoat I made

Next I want to finish off the jeans that I am making into shorts, all I need to do for that is finish off cutting off the exes leg part. After that I need to find a shirt to upcycle and start looking for some other things to upcycle.

Some new learning that I have made:
  • How to use a sewing machine
  • I also found out that when you are making something from scratch you need a LOT of fabric.
  • You can make a massive difference to an item of clothing without much effort

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hermione,

    Your Passion Project is really cool and your clothes are so creative! I love your jacket that you made and it was a good idea to take the sleeves off! I like the ice creams on the back as well as they add some colour. Your bag will come in handy and it also looks really cool as well! It looks like you have done lots of research and work and you're getting results that are amazing!

    Keep it up!
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hermione
    I love the daisy bag. Are you selling things that you have made?

    From Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie,

      Thank you, I am not selling the things that I have made because I don't really think I will have time to make that many things since I am going to make most of my things in sewing class, which I only have once a week,

      Hermione

      Delete
  3. Hi Hermione

    I really love your project. I also really love the items you have made. I was thinking the same as Maggie, are you going to be selling any of the things you have made?

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hermione!

    Your project is so cool and you are doing an awesome job so far. What item was the most difficult to upcycle? I can't wait to see your final products.

    Phoebe :)

    ReplyDelete