Thursday 3 August 2017

Lottie's Passion Project



Follow this link to see my Passion Project video :-)
https://youtu.be/1WT9KcNuBiY




Introduction


Hi, I am Lottie Heywood and for my Passion Project I decided to coach two Year 3&4 Netball Teams. This is so I can experience the challenges that come with coaching and all of the different things to remember to do when coaching.


Purpose


I have been playing netball for five years and every year except one I have had a great coach!
The coaches were good because they were organised, prepared and on time. They also made it very clear what they wanted to do and how.
The coach that I had that wasn’t so great forgot the ball bag every week, went off topic and started talking about other things and developed a relationship with us so that we became more of her friends than players.


My Goal


My goal is to be organised, prepared and on time.


  • To do this I created a table to help me organise the positions the girls will play each week.


  • I had a spread sheet to record every time the girls have been off and how many times each girl has been captain.


  • I also had a chart with how many times each girl has played each position.


  • This is really handy because if a player or parent complains about how many times they have been off etc I can just show them the documents.


  • Every week usually on Monday I plan the practise for Friday.


  • To help me with this I use the coach's guide book I was given at a coaches meeting. This book has a weekly focus that I help the girls with for example shooting, defence, footwork etc. They then list games and exercises I can do to teach them these skills.


  • Without this book I think I would have gone off topic like my previous coach.




Research


  • Before I started coaching I really had to research about skills/games I could do with my team, tips on how to work with younger children and basic coaching skills.
  • To do this I went to a coaching course which was really helpful and went through every single detail I need to know about Year 3&4 Netball. It didn’t really focus on actual coaching just more on netball.
  • I also had a meeting with Mr Pearce as he is an experienced netball coach and he helped more with how to coach younger children and necessary skills of a coach.


Reflections


I do reflections on how the game and practise went and my thoughts on it. I also do reflections on how I think I am doing as a coach and the players improvements. I include a next step so I know exactly what I need to do and when.


Team Drink Bottles


I really wanted to the girls team drink bottles so I asked my Dad's business if they could sponsor them. They said yes so I went out and bought drink bottles which were two different colours for the different teams. I then went to a business that puts logos on things and asked them to put the logo on these drink bottles.


Unfortunately they took a really long time to do this and didn’t end up doing it they just gave me stickers with the logo. From this I learnt that if you want something done quickly research about which company to use otherwise it may not get done.




My Mentor
I have a mentor who is Mr Henry our PE and Sport Director. He gets the gear ready for me and gets things organised with parents.


Facebook
I decided to make a Facebook account just for netball so that I can record/track the girls improvements.


Conclusion
Right now I am ten weeks through with my coaching and I’m really enjoying it. The girls are improving so much. My netball skills are also getting better as I have to learn about positions I don’t play.





8 comments:

  1. Hi Lottie!

    I really love your blog post because it is so detailed and well laid out. I have got a question for you! How many players are in each team? Also does each player get a half game or does the amount of times that they are off change every week?
    I like how you made drink bottles for them and that you added in a Facebook Account.

    Thanks,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,

    Thank you for commenting on my blog post with such positive feedback.
    There are 7 players in one team and 8 players in the other.
    Thanks again for commenting! If you have any other question please feel free to ask.

    Cheers,
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lottie,

    You are doing a great job with your project! I bet you didn't know how much work went into planning, reflecting, sorting positions and organising weekly jobs. You have developed wonderful relationships with all of your players not just on the netball court but in the school playground too! You are working hard to achieve your goal of becoming an organised, prepared and on time coach over the 16 weeks of fun.

    Well done Lottie!
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne,

      Thanks for your feedback and nice comments! If you would like more information just email me!

      Thanks,
      Lottie

      Delete
  4. Lottie,

    It's really pleasing to see the effort you are making with your Passion Project.

    From what I see and hear, both you and the girls you are coaching are benefiting, which is great.

    When you first said what you wanted to focus on for your Passion Project, I was a thinking that it didn't sound that exciting. What I've since seen (and what I hope you have learnt) is that organisation seems to be something you are passionate about - so good on you.

    Keep up the effort you are making and enjoy the results and feedback you are receiving from the girls.

    well done - Mr Heywood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Heywood,

      Thanks for commenting on my post! It is nice to see that you read my post in depth and you knew lots about it! Thank you again.

      - Lottie

      Delete
  5. Hi Lottie,

    I really like how you are teaching kids skills that they will use, for your Passion Project. It is cool how you got a company to sponsor you. The titles make your post really easy to read and clear,

    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hermione,

    Thanks for commenting on my post with such positive feedback! I love doing my Passion Project and teaching then skills is just a positive!

    Thanks!
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete